VA does not limit the amount you can borrow from your lender to finance a home. As of January 1, 2020, there are no county loan limits for veterans with a full VA home loan right.
However, county loan limits still apply to veterans who have already used, and not restored, their VA home loan entitlement to purchase, refinance or build a home over $144,000.
Your right cannot be restored when the property is sold or the loan is fully repaid. If you wish to purchase another home without meeting these criteria, VA will only guarantee the full amount of your outstanding loan up to the county loan limit of the home you wish to purchase next. (see Remaining right section below)
VA County Loan Limit:
- VA’s 2020 loan limits are the same as Federal Housing Finance Agency limits – 2020 Loan Limits (Effective January 1, 2020).
For purposes of determining the PV Guarantee, lenders are requested to refer only to the Unit Limit column in the FHFA table “Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Maximum Loan Limits for Mortgages Acquired in Civil Year 2020 and Originated after 10/1/ 2011 or before 01/07/2007”.
- Historical loan limits are found here by scrolling to the table under “Previously Announced Loan Limits” and referring only to the Unit Limit column.
- Collateral Calculation Examples – Review these common situations to see how your remaining entitlement, county loan limit, and loan amount can affect your buying decision.
- Maximum limits for guaranteed loans from February 28, 2014 to December 31, 2014
- Maximum limits for guaranteed loans from January 1, 2014 to February 27, 2014
- Loan limits 2013
- Maximum warranty limits from August 6, 2012 to December 31, 2012
- Maximum warranty limits from January 1, 2012 to August 5, 2012
- Maximum limits of guarantee – from October 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011
- Loan limits 2011
- Loan limits 2010
- Loan limits 2009
- Loan limits 2008
If you currently have a VA home loan, you can apply for a COE to determine if you are eligible to purchase your next home using the VA home loan benefit. The remaining entitlement available to those who have already used their VA home loan benefit is 25% of the county loan limit reduced by the amount of entitlement previously used and not restored. Just like the first use of the VA loan, you must make this house your residence when buying a home with remaining or restored title. Here you will find examples of the calculation of the remaining rights.
External Links Disclaimer: This page contains links that will take you outside the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of linked websites.
PDF files — To read PDF documents, you need a PDF viewer. Links to viewing software can be found on this link.